Sunday, June 11, 2006

CNET - CNET Woman Has A Problem...








quality="high" width="420" height="356" name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">



After filming I looked for a seat and found one next to this brunette who turned out to be a reporter for CNET. Ha. She was talking to a balding older white guy to her left -- I was to her right -- and apparently peppering him with questions. Meanwhile Ted Tagami -- who I've known since high school and played a major role in Vloggercon -- came over to say something to her and recognized me.

Through all this, she never asked me one question -- and the guy to her left was someone she just met. The only reason I knew she worked for CNET is I asked her who she was representing. See, she had a pad and pen and was writing. At a vlogging conference, you come with a camcorder.

Regardless of my questions -- just two -- and Ted, she asked me nothing. And when I passed by her in the hallway later in the day, she turned as if to avoid me -- I kept walking. And what did I do? Nothing. Do I think she would not have done that if I were white?

Yes.

Look, after a time on Earth, you can figure out what's going on with some people. It was insulting and a great example of how racism really is a mental illness. It kept her from being a good reporter. In my view she did a terrible job. I noticed she didn't even try to interview the Rocketboom people and they're huge! A good reporter never brings their hangups and race issues into a work situation. This woman did. CNET can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment