Monday, July 31, 2006

Captain Jet Wants You!! - Bill Chachkes At NY Jets Training Camp



Jets Training Camp-Captain Jet

As I walked up and down the sideline in 90+ degree heat at Hofstra university this weekend, I kept hearing a voice in the back of my head saying " Come on People, make some noise for your Jets, Let em know your in the stands." Normally I would tell you that as a coach I'm used to hearing voices in my head, both my own and someone else's.

But this was different. This voice belonged to "Captain Jet" of Staten Island NY, and he was mad as heck. Our brief conversation went like this:

FP: So Captain, can you give me a few quotes, just a few lines?

CJ: What kind of quotes you want pal? What do you need me for, you cooperate types have all the answers (referring to the VIP passes hanging from the necks of pass holders, which look similar to the Media credentials)

FP: Hey Captain (framing credential with hands) does this look like a VIP pass?

CJ: Oh! (smiles now) a Scribe! I thought you were one of those Madison avenue guys who know all about football. You're a bit smarter I guess.



FP: So why are you so annoyed Captain?

CJ: Because some of these fans here just aren't motivated enough ( turns his back to me). Come Ooooon People WAKE UP! This is an NFL Training Camp, not some POP Warner Middle school game(turns back). Sorry, but someone has to do it. A young kid comes over and asks the "Captain" for his autograph, and he gladly signs the mini football.

FP: So what's the one thing you want Jets fans to know Captain, I mean after all, you are the Captain!

CJ: I want people to know that I'm everyman's Jet fan. That Jets fans are the best fans, the best in the world. I want them to know that I'm here, dressed like this to show my support for the Jets and their fans...

FP: So what do you say to the fans further down the fence (who spent the day heckling the Players, coaches, and even us media types)?



CJ: New York Fans are supposed to be smarter then that, that’s why the rest of the world doesn't think we are that smart, because of fans like those guys (waves hand in their direction -- about 30 yards down the fence).

FP: What about the QB competition??

CJ: Doesn't matter who the #2 and #3 are...just the #1


either Pennington or Ramsey will win it. We will see who the back up is after that. Too many other questions to be answered right now.

FP: So Captain, mind if we get a few Photos?

CJ: No Problem, it'll help me get the word out.

FP: And that word is?

CJ: Real Jet fans don't give up on their team…

No comments:

Post a Comment