Monday, July 24, 2006

Mike and Jean Strahan aren't kissing in the tree anymore

Most people don't know this, because they only see the "pro" in Pro Athlete. I have been a teacher for most of my adult life, But in the 1980's and 1990's I taught profoundly disabled young adults. I also volunteered my time as a coach for NY special olympics. The Director of the Bronx chapter at that time was a mentor of mine, and a former college football player. He asked me, i guess because i had some background in Media, to do back stage interviews of sports personalities at a charity event.

One of the players was a young second year defensive end from the Giants named Mike Strahan. The Mike Strahan i met that night was personable, warm, and talked about his Families' football legacy( his dad played millitary service football in Germany in the 60's, and his uncle played for the Giants in the 1950's). No one reading the NY post each day ever got to see the Strahan i met that night. The Strahan who chatted with the parents of disabled children and teens that night, or the Strahan who actually bid on several items in the auction. The Mike Strahan who shook my hand at the end of the interview.

I wonder if the NY post will spend time kissing up to Mike after the case is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment