Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Generation Jets Fan Fest





Generation Jets Fan Fest-By Annrose Fumai-Chachkes


"What's that?" I asked my husband Bill as we parked the car at Hofstra University
for NY Jets Training Camp. "Oh that’s the Jets Fan Fest" he said. I waited for him to continue, because like most writers, Bill explains everything to death. But he didn't elaborate, so I pressed. " What's a FAN FEST" I wanted to know. He was more concerned with getting our media credentials, but he knew I wouldn't leave him alone, so he explained. "The Jets are trying to reach out to the younger fans and the families, so they set this street fair type of event up in that parking lot, to draw a wider variety of fans to the workouts. They have a Shop Tent, skill events for the Kids, and Bands playing, plus they give stuff away."

Now I was hooked. This was my first day working with Bill. I was in his football writer's world for the first time, but I wanted to know more about this Fan Fest.
"Do we need pictures of any of that?" I asked him as we walked past. "I guess a few shots of the Kids having fun wouldn't hurt" he said "but wait until after we get our tags."

Later on, we needed to kill some time before the actual practice began at 2 pm.
"We have an hour, can we walk over now?" "As long as we come back. I don't want to miss Curtis Martin." So we walked over and looked around. Everywhere people were having fun. Young kids, older kids, and their parents. "Now this is what a family sporting event should be," I said. Bill was back to being his pre-occupied self, answering all the trivia questions from the ESPN van, but under his breath. "Okay Snapshot, back to work, I need more photos."

Anyway, Find a Fan Fest for your favorite football team and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment