Monday, April 16, 2007

Web 2.0 Expo - Web2Open Better Than Keynote

Ok. I'm sitting here listening to an interesting conversation about to what degree one can expose a part of their body over the other. Note, I'm using my ears.

The conversation is part of something called Web2Open and it's quite interesting. For example, what's taking place now is a discussion over the First Amendment -- free speech. There's parts of this conversation I simply can't print, but it's ....cool.

What can a person say online? If this happens on a privately owned social network, what can be done? My almost-a-lawyer response is that if what happens in this "private space" impacts millions of people, it's no longer really private. Thus, it is subject to a set of laws that goes all the way back to Rylands v. Fletcher and the underpinnings of what became the Coase Theorem.

The reason I wound up here is I was in line to go into the regular Keynote Speech, but because -- unknown to me -- I had an "Expo only" badge, this woman, who I'm a little aquainted with as she's in my video on Aimee Allison, didn't even bother to cut me a break, she just told me to get out of the line. It's easier to spot me as I'm one a few Blacks here. But still the, eh, person could have really given me a break.

But in a way I thank her, because if it were not for that, I'd have never sat down at Web2Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment