Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Le Bron James | Vogue - Le Bron James, Wake Up To Racial Stereotyping



Hey Le Bron James. You asked "Who cares" in reaction to charges that your appearance on the cover of Vogue playing to fears of Black men.

Well, Le Bron James, I care and I'm a Black Man.

I saw your cover photo in a local store and my first though was "What this hell was he thinking."

But then I realized that given how young you are, you may not have been thinking about anything other than sex and money. Sex in that you're taking a photo where you've got a hot blonde in your arms, and money because you were paid for it. I don't think the fact that Annie Lebowitz was taking the shot meant much to you because you don't understand how huge she is separate from the photo; you're too young to know.

But that's not what I'm writing about.

Dude, you need to wake up. Fast. And before someone else uses you for some racially-insenstive reason. The Vogue cover didn't represent me well because you're a Black Man like me, and because of our minority status in America, all of us are impacted by what a high-profile brother like you does. We're historically seen in America in the same kind of animallstic way you've portrayed and I for one don't like that one bit.

Wake up Le Bron James.

If you're confused over the possible social impact of a magazine shoot in the future, ask me what it could be. I'll tell you. Because its sure as hell obvious that whomever's advising you know doesn't know what the hell they're doing. I'm tired of brothers like you working to keep brothers like me down. I mean that.

It's time for you to take a serious look at your responsibilities in life outside of Basketball. They're bigger than you realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment