Thursday, June 05, 2008

Racist Woman Spits At Obama Supporter Today In Philadelphia

I just saw this email below on the Obama Rapid Response listserv and it's really hurtful to read. It reads for itself. But I must add that anyone who experiences this kind of racism should report it to the police as soon as possible as in California at least, there are hate crime laws and spitting is a form of assault.

Here it is:

I'm an old (66) 60's person.I wear my hair shaggy and bushy, it is gray-streaked.I wear t-shirts & jeans, sneakers.I'm not fancy (although I live on Philly's Main Line) I'm an artist/potter.

Today I was dashing through my shopping.It breaks up my day badly here when I have to leave the house and home routine.I dont like coming home to a dog who needs to go out and 200 emails..

So I bought produce at Whole Foods, where people young and old applauded my OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT T-shirt.

Everyone was delighted. Children were skipping happily.

I stopped at Trader Joes for bread and frozen tuna.And was leaving when a woman my age stood in front of me.She looked me up & down and said "You're KIDDING!"

I said "You're not a supporter?"(Rare for this neighborhood)

She made a horrible hate-face!"I wouldnt vote for....THAT.

You must be CRAZY."

"Me and millions of other people,I'm not going to discuss this with you." although my thought was "Are you a racial bigot or a militant "feminist.?"

She hissed "You're crazy to vote for THAT!! (SPITS)

Fortunately she was too dry to hit me w/the spittle.

I moved away in a daze.

An historical candidate, here in USA...and that???(In a big eastern city suburb??)

I am a Jew, so I have seen my share of bigotry.

But I have never experienced such vituperative hatred; and now I feel for everyone who canvassed in Appalachia and out-of-the-way places, and for people who are "different" who have to live amid such hatred. For these, I've been crying.For children who have experienced such hatred I'm crying.For our dear Candidate and his family, I'm crying.They dont deserve that.We dont want that for them.

Who could imagine that?


What would you do? I think we as Obama supporters have to make sure that acions like that one are reported to the police. This is an outrage.

No comments:

Post a Comment