Sunday, October 18, 2009

Droid does more than iPhone; AT&T should worry because its service is crappy




Droid

I'm really looking forward to this new phone called Droid, which is supposed to be released October 30th.  Here's why in this video and my story that follows it:





I was a devoted user of the iPhone until AT&T's really frankly dishonest handling of my bill made me just drop using it cold turkey and buy a Blackberry as a temporary replacement. I'm not a fan of the Blackberry much - what I do like is the video feature and the Internet teathering, which I have made use of. 

(That allows you to access the Internet using your Blackberry.)

And the way it allowed for great mobile blogging as shown here:



But that written my Blackberry does a lot of things I can't stand. For one it makes these automatic calls to several friends of mine and my Mother for reasons I can't even explain.

Something else it does is manage to erase my personal address book so I can't delete the numbers that are being robo-called.

Then I can't effectively mobile blog with it as I could with my iPhone.

Yes, I tried to jailbreak the IPhone but whatever I did, it started making emergency calls. Great.

So I have been literally trapped with this quirky but effective Blackberry, all the while wishing I could use my iPhone free of the clutches of AT&T.

Clutches.

This is what happened with AT&T.

Two years ago I disputed an "auto-pay" credit card charge on my phone bill and had American Express reject it. AT&T agreed to the adjustment but someone there kept replacing the charge, triggering more charge dispute claims by me, and AT&T agreeing with them.

Then in 2008 AT&T placed a charge of $1,033.36 on my credit card bill each month - and I disputed it each month. Then on August, I think it was the 8th, on a conference call between an AMEX representative, an AT&T representative, and myself, AT&T agreed to not place a charge that its own people called "erroneous" on my bill.

Then shockingly last November AT&T put the same charge back on my bill. But this time I was talking to a whole different set of people who said the charge wasn't wrong and came up with a weird explanation that did not pass the logic test.

More important, they did nothing at all to ease my pain caused by this billing nightmare. Nothing. It's not like correctly the matter is going to have their stock price drop. Or for that matter, why not just agree to the settlement I offered which was for them to reduce the collection to a one-time fee of $400.

Remember, this $1,033.36 bill was on my account each month! Understand? It was some weird auto-pay glitch that in March of 2008 an AT&T rep told me was an error on their part.

So with all that I had to stop using my iPhone just to get away from AT&T. I really can't stand how they do business at all. They're the masters of deception and unfair practices in the cell phone business in my view.

I have an account now with T-Mobile and I could not be happier. It's one payment monthly and it barely changes. I can count on it.

But I miss my iPhone.

Now, I read Droid's suppose to outperform the iPhone and its on the Verizon 4G network. That's great, just keepAT&T away from it! 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:36 AM

    I am psyched for the Droid too! Sounds like a formidable competitor to the I phone.

    ReplyDelete