Saturday, December 26, 2009

Lady Gaga in San Francisco - fans praise Lady Gaga



This is one of those "slice-of-life" vlog moments. I was on my way to a Christmas Party, the route of which took me past the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and a huge line. Fans by the thousands were waiting to see Lady Gaga at Virgin Mobile Presents The Monster Ball Starring Lady Gaga featuring special guest Kid Cudi .




Lady GaGa

What got me was just how long the line of fans was. It stretched down the block, around the corner and almost to Market Street. In it were legions of people dressed in some way to indicate their affection for Lady Gaga. So, Flip Video Camera handy, I decided to conduct an impromptu Lady Gaga fan interview.

Even with the diversity of voices, there was little difference in the response to my question: "Why do you like Lady Gaga?" The answer was "I like her individuality", with little variation on that theme, even with people who talked to me off-camera. I've seen a lot of fans of different entertainers, but The Rolling Stones and Amy Winehouse don't spawn the kind of costume copy fans that Lady Gaga has.

But more important is they pick up on her idea of individual freedom and civil rights. So Lady Gaga is seamlessly weaving her concern for social justice with her music and image. I don't think that was intentional; it's an outgrowth of who she is. But if it turns out that it was an intentional marketing trick, then it was genius.

Here's a video from her San Francisco concert:



I think to some degree much of it is on purpose. For example, Virgin Mobile, the concert sponsor, is offering free tickets to see Lady Gaga if you volunteer at a homeless youth organization in your town. Just visit Lady Gaga's site for more info. (No, Virgin Mobile's not my sponsor; would be massively cool, though.)

Of course, if Lady Gaga's music was awful, the effort would be all for naught. Fortunately, Lady Gaga can sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment