Wednesday, December 09, 2009

San Francisco 49ers proposed new San Francisco stadium

I had to chuckle at the happy accident of the timing of a two-day-old cryptic email I got with no subject, an unrecognized email address, and some very cool photos of the planned new San Francisco 49er stadium. Er, the one to replace Candlestick Park that's located in San Francisco. That one.

(For the record, that's not the first time that's happened.  Someone called me out of the blue to annouce they were sending a package containing a study on the Oakland Army Base.  The voicemail started "I can't give you my name...") 

Not the Santa Clara pipe dream. Ok, that's my bias. Maybe that's why I got the email - someone's reading my stuff? At any rate, I planned to do something with the pretty pictures one day then the SFGate top link on the Santa Clara 49ers Stadium appeared today and that's when I started to laugh. Oh, the irony.

Here's one stadiun project taking what looks to me is a really deep fall in its path becoming shovel-ready, and the other in San Francisco that looks like its moving closer to the that status. Well, at least these photos indicate what a new San Francicso stadium at Hunter's Point will look like both day and night. Here's the night shot with fireworks:



And here's the day shot at a wider distance over the land:



I don't understand why the San Francisco 49ers are trying to fit a city planning square peg (the need for a stadium) in a round hole (the Great America land) when they have a proven site at Candlestick Park. I can't see how Great America's business will not be impacted by the operation of a stadium there. First, there's not enough parking for all the demand - stadium and park - that will exist. Second, stadium and park not designed to be "one" and doing so would require a whole new environmental impact report.

But it's good to continue the process, if only so that the National Football League can see that the Great America dream is just that, and convince the 49ers to work singularly on a new stadium at Candlestick Point.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment