Friday, February 05, 2010

Super Bowl in Miami means parties and the art of party-crashing

Miami, South Beach - The 44th Super Bowl is just two days away, but Miami is buzzing with parties. Some parties have had the name of someone like P Diddy on it. So people come to the event expecting to see him and he doesn't show up.

Frankly, I've attended about 24 Super Bowl parties in my time, so I know the formula: free drinks, free food, celebrities, all in a large space with dancing optional but preferred.

There are an estimated 150 Super Bowl parties held during Super Bowl week, but the "go to" events are on Friday and Saturday Night.

The list (this is not a list, just a discussion) is paced by the NFL Commissioner's Party, or what is called the NFL Friday Night Party. It's at the Greater Fort Lauderdale Broward County Convention Center, and is underway as I write this.

The NFL Commissioner's Party is a huge affair with several tons of food, celebrities, and generally "human art events". The main reason to go - if you can and I've been to one of these - is to see the people and sample the monstrous selection of food. If you have a ticket to that, cool, but leave early and head to the ESPN Party.

The ESPN Super Bowl Party is at The Fountainbleau Resort on Miami Beach. The ESPN Party layout brings celebrity athletes with patrons and a lot of cocktails in an interactive setting. An ESPN Party is nothing without video games, and they're all over the place. It starts at 9, but really gets going at 10 PM. I don't have a ticket, but the last time I did and still crashed the party.

How?

The guy never looked at my ticket! He just let me in. That's the art of party-crashing: acting like you belong there and walking in. It also helps to know someone or be willing to drop cash. Not saying I've ever done it, but I've seen it happen.

I had this wry idea of making a video of how to crash or not crash a Super Bowl Party. I still may do it just for grins. If so, you saw the idea first, here.

Of course, it's raining now. Hmm...

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment