Monday, June 14, 2010

Jimmy Dean dies at 81 | Jimmy Dean Sausage was excellent

Sadly, Jimmy Dean passed away Sunday evening in Varina, Virginia at 81 years of age. Media accounts, like the one at CNN.com, focused most on his legendary songs like Big Bad John, and barely note the sausage that bears his name, Jimmy Dean Sausage.

But as a kid, all I ever wanted for breakfast with my scrambled eggs and cheese (which my Mom made to perfection) was Jimmy Dean Sausage. I'm serious, and this is not a sponsored endorsement. Jimmy Dean Sausages were bigger, beefier, and yummier than any other kind of sausage. I could actually smell the difference.

I never knew that Jimmy Dean was a singer of anything until after I'd developed a love for Jimmy Dean Sausage.

Jimmy Dean, RIP.

2 comments:

  1. Rest in Peace :(
    Two James Deans in heaven together now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to listen to Big Bad John every night on the jukebox while I mopped the Rock 'N Roll Hardee's restaurant here in St. Louis. I had written a long post about Jimmy Dean, but then noticed that Zennie already beat me to it. You can read my post at The Forrealist

    Not many people have mentioned one of my fondest memories of him, which were his skits with Rowlf on "The Muppet Show."

    ReplyDelete