Thursday, September 23, 2010

David Letterman Wants $1 Million From Joaquin Phoenix For Pub Stunt

David Letterman, obviously smarting from being used as part of what turned out to be Actor Joaquin Phoenix's publicity stunt / meltdown interview of February 12th, 2009, asked for $1 million in compensation for the use of the interview in Phoenix's new film I'm Still Here.

The problem is that the now famous (or infamous depending on how you see it) interview where Joaquin Phoenix came out in dark glasses, a lot of hair, and saying very little of substance, was read by many as the start of Phoenix's personal problems. Here's the interview:



In reality, it was actually part of the documentary / mockumentary produced and directed by Casey Affleck. While it was reported that David Letterman was "in on it," by his monologue writer Bill Scheft, Letterman said that was not the case on Wednesday's The Late Show With David Letterman. Before we continue, this is what Scheft said to Nuvo.net:



NUVO: Tell me what it was like backstage after the Joaquin Phoenix appearance.

Scheft: First of all, that was all an act.

NUVO: Even Dave's part of it?

Scheft:: Yeah. Think Andy Kaufman without shaving. That's what he was doing. And Dave knew about it and Dave loved it because he could play along. He could do whatever he wanted with it. And he did, and it was great television. But I will take credit for the line, "I think I owe Farrah Fawcett an apology." That line was mine. I gave that to him during the break.

Dave loves that. He had a ball. He likes anything that's good television, and he knew that's good television.

I've told people that (everyone was in on the joke), and not only don't people believe me, they tell me that I'm wrong and that (Phoenix) is a schizophrenic and he needs help and he's going to end up like his brother. I said no. I saw the segment notes. It's an act. I saw Ben Affleck's brother taping the whole thing from offstage.


In on it or not, David Letterman tore a new one on Joaquin Phoenix about it and his take was hilarious.

Letterman made Phoenix squirm in his chair, saying he hasn't seen the movie, reminding him of "the incident" and finally landing the haymaker: asking for $1 million as a video licensing fee. Why? Because Letterman claimed he didn't know it was a stunt. Yeah, he figured Joaquin Phoenix was acting, but he didn't know it was for a movie.

Now, Letterman wants bucks.

"But David," Joaquin said, "I don't have a million dollars." Letterman was unfazed, saying "Oh. You'll find it somewhere."

While Wednesday's Letterman show was such that it may have been the continuation of the joke, I'm not sure David was entirely kidding about the million bucks. But it's fair to assume all of that was worked out before the release of I'm Still Here, there's always that bit of doubt that maybe not all the bases were covered.

Classic Television

Whatever the case, Wednesday's The Late Show With David Letterman was classic television: funny, provocative, and unforgettable. If I'm Still Here is as funny as that segment with Letterman, Phoenix and Affleck may have a cult film on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment