Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mad Men: Don Draper Is A Twitter Trending Topic

John Hamm as Don Draper 
After an unexpected Mad Men Season Finale called "Tommorrowland" where Don Draper did the unthinkable and propose to his office assistant Megan, "Don Draper" is a trending topic on Twitter.

"Tommorrowland" was interesting in that it seemed to reveal a Don Draper who wanted to turn his "player card" in for a more normal life with one woman, albeit his office assistant.

But why Megan? What makes her different from the other women Don Draper's been with? Jessica Paré, who plays Megan, answered that question over at the Mad Men Blog:

"I think she's more modern, in the sense that she has a secretary job for now but she fully expects to do something more with her career. I think she sees this job as the right place for her to be at 25 [years old] in New York. It's not like she takes it for granted that she's going to move up, but I think she doesn't necessarily see it as an obstacle so much as someone just a few years older than her might."
Paré thinks they're a grea match, too:

"I think she's got a really natural, nurturing warmth to her, and I think he responds to that because, as he says in the finale, I feel like myself when I'm with you, but the me that I want to be. And that's a really good place to be with a partner."

The Twitterverse Ignites

On Twitter many of the tweets expressed surprise at Drapers decision, and met it with sarcasm:


MadMenTweets Mad Men Tweets by SeanPatin
RT @steveohville This season of #MadMen began with the question, "Who is Don Draper?" And it ended with the answer, "Tiger Woods".

gooalice gooalice
Jane Lynch to Steal Don Draper's Identity‎ -- "I'm going as Don Draper from Mad Men. I love Jon Hamm and I love his performance and I got

johngibbons10 John Gibbons
Don draper is such a pimp

gooalice gooalice
Jessica Pare, from AMC's “Mad Men” says that people on the set joke that once you become involved with Don Draper, you're days are number...

SlimShaezy Shaezy Pepperoni
You can't spell Don Draper without "raper."

empod Emily
Ahhhh I hate that don draper & madmen are trending on twitter. I'm like 3 episodes behind. I WANT THE SEASON FINALE.


You get the idea. But once again, the genius of Mad Men sucks its viewers into an alternative universe where people are concerned for and interested in the life and decisions of a middle-aged alcoholic, racist, sexist, 1960s Ad Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment