Monday, November 22, 2010

RockMelt Browser Review By Zennie62: A Facebook Gripe



The new RockMelt Browser has been the choice of this blogger since November 14th, which is when the first video review was posted. The cool aspect of RockMelt, it's neat presentation of your social network relationships, has turned out to have a flip side, especially where it involves Facebook.

When clicking to start the RockMelt Browser, you have to wait until it logs in to Facebook. And depending on the strength of your Internet connection that could take anywhere from seconds to minutes, to who knows how long?

Yes, there is a way to disable that function, but why have it serve as the gateway to the use of the entire RockMelt browser? It's massively annoying to see that animated period go across the white page, waiting for Facebook to get a clue, just to use the browser.

RockMelt Memory Issues

The other problem with RockMelt is that it fails to remember your bookmark settings. After a week of use, the bookmarks bar was wiped clean of the sites I selected. Then, it seemed to remember some of them, but not all of them, after a few days.

Those two issues mar the RockMelt user experience, at least for this blogger.  Correcting them will place it on the road to being the best browser yet.

2 comments:

  1. I love RockMelt Too!
    I'm having the same issues with connection, and logging into Facebook. When I'm at school I have to log into the internet through the browser, so using RockMelt is rendered useless 'till I open Chrome, log into the internet, close chrome, and open/log into RockMelt.

    However, as a student, when doing homework I stuggle with the constant distractions of my RSS Feeds, Twitter and Facebook pop-ups. When I do homework I just flip back to Chrome.

    And how awesome is that Facebook Chat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've pretty much changed over to rockmelt. I have Opera, Firefox, IE, Chrome and had Safari but Rockmelt is the fastest IMO, and most convenient for me to keep up with my social networking. I haven't evperienced any major problems. A few crashes but nothing more than N E of the other browsers. However, it runs your PC ragged running 10 processes at one time. It totally drains your system.

    ReplyDelete