Saturday, January 08, 2011

49ers Meet Rooney Rule With Token Approach

The use of token minority candidates by NFL teams in working to meet The Rooney Rule must stop. While I'm happy to be wrong in this area, as it means society's advancement, it painfully seems that I'm not.

Hey, I'll take my lumps in generous quantities if it means we're moving ahead.

The San Francisco 49ers talking to Hue Jackson and ESPN Analyst Tony Sofii for Head Coach and GM positions, then picking the people they really wanted in Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke looks like tokenism. Sorry to say it, but it does.

What I'd like to see is an organization that has a giant list of people off all colors, including women, that would be great candidates, and interview them.

Someone wrote "shouldn't an organization be able to do what it wants?" No. Not when what that organization does is seen by millions in society and impacts how we think and live.

No.

Using blacks as token candidates is just plain sad. I think the Rooney Rule needs to be improved. I'm not sure it's taken seriously by some teams.

Again, I hope I'm wrong because I really want to be.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:12 PM

    First of all, where is your proof that Tony Sofli was a token interview? Just saying it was a token interview because Trent Baalke got hired is stupid. No one knows if that interview was a token interview, it was his job in the interview to wow Jed York and obviously he did not do that.

    As for Hue Jackson if the interview was thorough then you cannot say it is a token interview. Obviously the 49ers knew who they wanted as Head Coach and interviewed Hue Jackson to appease the Rooney Rule, so yes that interview could have been a token interview, but the Sofli interview is not a token interview by any means.

    A token interview to me is someone who is interviewed after a deal with a white candidate as been reached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong. If you can't figure out how to spot a token candidate, we're all in trouble.

    ReplyDelete