Thursday, January 06, 2011

CES 2011: Qik, Sony 3D Bloggie, Gale Anne Hurd, Dancing With The Stars


Gale Anne Hurd, originally uploaded by zennie62.
CES 2011 is overwhelming. As I write this, I'm in the giant press / blogger "lounge" in the small city that is the Las Vegas Convention Center. A friend of mine here observed that there seemed to be more media people than attendees!

But this blog is a bit late coming as the day started with a quick cab ride from my hotel to the Las Vegas Convention Center. The massive Exhibit Hall had not opened until 10 AM and I planned to attend the Variety-sponsored session called "Media Money Makers" and featuring Walking Dead and Terminator producer Gale Anne Hurd (in photo), Heroes creator Tim Kring, Jeff Ross Executive Producer of Conan, Conrad Green, Dancing With The Stars Producer Conrad Green, and Bonnie Arnold, Producer of How To Train Your Dragon.

Afterward, I asked Hurd if she planned to produce Terminator Five. She remarked that, while she's been quoted as feeling the movie series that gave us Arnold Schwarzenegger as android had lost it's way, there was nothing she could do to reboot it. "I don't own the rights," she said.

Meanwhile, Conan's Jeff Ross explained the show's wildly high popularity has generated 60,000 views online per day (yes, I know it's an offline TV show, but the online data was interesting to me). He explained he didn't know if that was "good or bad," and I explained that really considering his TV views, the rate should be about double that.

Thanks to Qik.com, I was able to stream the entire 53 minutes of the meeting, and you can see it here:






More on this later.

After the session, I interviewed Conrad Green of Dancing With The Stars, who explained that they were very pleased with the overwhelming response they got by having Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol Palin on the show:



The day before, I was a press guest of the Sony people (along with oh, about 300 others) to see their new products. Frankly, Sony's presentation was breathtaking. Overall, it must have cost something like $15 million, when you consider the sets, videos, and the various models of the Black Beauty from The Green Hornet that were on display.

But, for me, the real star was Sony's 3D version of the Bloggie camcorder series.  For a Flip Video lover, like me, it takes a lot to make me convert to a Sony Bloggie.   Sony would have to do something really incredible.

Well, they did.

The Sony 3D Bloggie, which goes on sale this April, will allow you to make 3D videos of the kind that YouTube engineers have been working to reconfigure the YouTube site for over the last three years.  Moreover Sony had tech reps on hand to ask any and all questions about the product.



Lots more to report here. I'm going to get up off this great couch and go out. Remember to follow me at Zennie62 at Twitter and also on YouTube and Qik.com and CNN iReport.

And thanks again to the Qik.com people.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment