Saturday, January 08, 2011

Jim Harbaugh, Hue Jackson and The Rooney Rule

In my last post, I blogged about Jim Harbaugh and The Rooney Rule. The sad fact is that the 49ers only talked to Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson, who's black and might meet the Rooney Rule, but in the case of the exact read of the rule, talking just to him doesn't.

The Rooney Rule also covers front office candidates. I've not found evidence the 49ers talked to a minority or woman for the GM position. (Wrong here I am, but again in an ESPN NFL Analyst named Tony Sofii it looks like a token interview.) It's not a matter of trying to get the Niners in trouble, but to clamp down on the abuse of the Rooney Rule by having a "token minority candidate."

It seems Hue Jackson may be that candidate. But hopefully Al Davis promotes him to head coach. Jackson, for whom I've long been a fan, deserves it.

Look. I would be very, very happy to be totally wrong about this, because it means we're moving forward. But we're not, so I'm not. If someone with the Niners can prove I am wrong, I'm ready to see that.

People simply must be conditioned to think in a way that's multi-racial. It will really solve a lot of deep-seated problems in American society. And we have to get way beyond "token interviews" because it's not helping the situation at all.

In closing, I never said Harbaugh wasn't a good choice. He is and I think he will bring a Vince Lombardi Trophy to the Niners.

No comments:

Post a Comment