Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Hearst Corporation's Steven R. Swartz Owes Zennie62 Dinner

Hearst Corporation's new Chief Operating Officer Steven R. Swartz was formerly head of Hearst Newspapers, of which The San Francisco Chronicle and SFGate.com fell under his direction.

Now, replacing Cathy Black, who gained a small measure of pop-culture fame with an appearance on The Celebrity Apprentice, Swartz will take on a larger role, including the company's digital marketing efforts. Meanwhile Mark E. Aldam becomes the new head of Hearst Newspapers.

But while over Heart Newspapers, and in the last year in his 2010 report that I downloaded after some poking around, Swartz pointed to one aspect of Hearst Newspapers online that performed extremely well: the City Brights bloggers.

(And on March 18th, 2010, I generated over 280,000 unique visitors for SFGate.com in just 7 hours according to an email from Kevin Skaggs, when he was SFGate.com Executive Director.)
That equals money - revenue from ads that go to SFGate.com employees, so it's fair to say that during my little experiment with real-time blogging, I helped save a few jobs, and got Steven Swartz promoted.

(And on March 18th, 2010, I generated over 280,000 unique visitors for SFGate.com in just 7 hours according to an email from Kevin Skaggs, when he was SFGate.com Executive Director. Correction: that's 545,000 unique vistors for that one day according to Skaggs.)

Does Steve know about my output? Yes.

The overall problem, I think, is Hearst Corporation needs to adopt the ethic of listening to everyone, everywhere. I certainly do, even if I disagree with the message I might get. Hearst also needs to focus on buying blogs as much as it does print.

All I want from Steven is dinner at 21 Club in New York City. My favorite place.

Meanwhile, congratulations!




No comments:

Post a Comment