Wednesday, February 10, 2010

John Mayer on Twitter apologizes for N-word use in Playboy

After being silent on Twitter for most of Wednesday, John Mayer took to his Twitter page to issue an apology for using the N-word during his now much talked about Playboy interview. Mayer wrote beyond the 140-character-per-tweet limit, so what appears is segments. Here's what it looks like put together in order and in paragraphs:

Re: using the 'N word' in an interview: I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself. It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it,because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged.

And while I'm using today for looking at myself under harsh light, I think it's time to stop trying to be so raw in interviews...It started as an attempt to not let the waves of criticism get to me, but it's gotten out of hand and I've created somewhat of a monster.

I wanted to be a blues guitar player. And a singer. And a songwriter. Not a shock jock. I don't have the stomach for it. Again, because I don't want anyone to think I'm equivocating: I should have never said the word and I will never say it again.
about 2 hours ago from web


John Mayer just lost his short-lived Andrew Dice Clay award. Still, it's not clear everyone's fast to forget as these tweets on John Mayer's page show:

@adilla They don't make rehab centers for being an a-hole.
about 1 hour ago from web in reply to adilla
@CRHines17 True. But some mistakes are hard to pinpoint because they happen slowly and over long periods of time...


This is far from over. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Original tweets he replied to:


    CRHines17: @johncmayer were all human. Everyone makes mistakes

    johncmayer: @CRHines17 True. But some mistakes are hard to pinpoint because they happen slowly and over long periods of time...

    -----------------

    adilla: Just waiting for @johncmayer to follow up his apology with an announcement that he's going to rehab. I mean, it kinda worked for Tiger, no?

    johncmayer: @adilla They don't make rehab centers for being an a-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really funny how people even have to apologize for using the "N" word.

    It shouldn't be offensive these days anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:22 AM

    John Mayer you, like so many have taken African Americans for a joke, a second fiddle and then the apologetic apology over and over again, SHAME ON YOU...boy I can't wait for the day when Black folks start sticking together again and continue to create our own paths and not be so available for such persons as yourself...GET IT TOGETHER...WATCH YOUR MOUTH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *smh*7:04 AM

    Greg London,

    I'm guessing you're NOT black. Just clicked on your link and saw a picture of a white guy. What a surprise. Entitlement and privilege much? Since the racial slur is not aimed at your demographic (you know, white people), it is not your place to decide when that word is no longer offensive.

    It's really funny how bigots feel people should no longer have to apologize for using the "n" word.

    ReplyDelete