Monday, December 03, 2007

Julia Allison and Meghan Asha Search For White Tech Guys at TechCrunch



Ok. You're wondering what's up with the title's smarky angle "Julia Allison and Meghan Asha Search For White Tech Guys at TechCrunch"? Well, it's simple. It's true.

If you've ever been to an SF Bay Area tech event as a Black male, you discover five things:

1) The party's mostly white
2) The men are cool to talk with
3) The women there act like they're afraid to talk with you if you're Black.

And establish these rules...

1) You have a better time if you just hang with one group and don't mingle much.
2) You have a fantastic time if you don't wait for people to talk to you, and totally avoid anyone
-- including some women -- who seem to have an issue with your presence.

I'm serious about this.

As the video reveals, of all of the people at these parties, it's generally non-tech White Women that generally act like they're looking only for White and at times Asian tech guys, as opposed to just plain networking. (And by "non-tech" I mean those who are not in tech positions. There are some exceptions if you read on, but that's my general experience. Julia, for example, is not herself a programmer or videoblogger or game developer, or web designer.) And their focus is so hard on this type of guy that they most of them will not do the normal act of simple networking with manners. By contrast, the guys act, well, normal. I've got to be honest about this. Hey, when you're one of , say, three Black men out of 300 people you see a different side of society at these events.

And before you go there, I didn't learn this by trying to establish a conversation, but more by simply noticing patterns -- where people went to at these parties and mostly who they took the time to strike up a conversation with, and also seeing how other Black men were treated, and quickly establishing the set of ground rules you see above and moving forward.

Hey, someone's got to point this out; might as well be me because the rules you see above have become habit for me. It's hilarious. For example, I remember the founder of a certain "scrapping" website app that ryhmes with "Scrabble" just pass and brush against me ( and with her chest, folks. Her chest!) without even saying so much as "excuse me" or "how's it going?" -- terrible behavior which I took as a weird form of passive-agresssive flirting or a rude "I don't want to see you" brush off and said nothing to her.

Folks like her are what makes the World a little less cool and a lot more hurtful. I just wish they'd realize how inappropriate they're being, but that may be asking too much. A simple "Hello" will do in the future.

I can report there was one woman at these events that was really cool and normal, and she knows who she is. Maybe there will be more like her, and less like the Julia Allisons.

Not that I've met Julia Allison. I may be wrong about her, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'd bet the ranch I'm right. But I can't lose. If I'm right, then my World is easier for noting the problem, if I'm wrong, then she's not what is the norm and that's good, and if I'm right and she's sensitive to this, she'll change, and we'll all be better.

I just want to attend one Tech party where everyone's cool. I know that party's out there, somewhere.

(Oh. And if you're one of those who's going to stupidly remark about this and claim that -- for example -- I'm racist for pointing out racism, be smart enough to realize that if people stopped behaving in the patterns I identify, I'd have to reason to complain or dish. Think about it. What I'm sharing with you is conversation that Blacks generally reserve for Black-on-Black environments. I dont' do that. I'll let you know what's on my mind, period. Also, stating that a person's racist for identifying racism is like saying one person's a robber for identiying a robbery.)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Just so you know. Julia Allison has dated an African-American. His name is Harold Ford Jr. A member of a a prominent Memphis, TN African-American Family. Check it out.

    http://blog.juliaallison.com/2006/10/harold_ford.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being that this post is over a year old now, do you have any new observations about the SF Bay Area tech scene?

    Have things changed for, you or do you still feel the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. Thanks for the question, Bill. But I must point out a comment I noticed about Harold Ford, Jr. To be frank and as much as I like Ford as politician-- no crit to him -- he's what Blacks refer to as light-skinned.

    Now to your question. I still think what I wrote is generally (80 percent) correct. I also set down a set of rules for engagement. The bottom line is when you go out it's mostly White. It just is. Why do people want to hide from that obvious fact? Doing so is not going to change things one bit.

    The industry is slowly changing, and I think Obama's rise to power has made people reconsider their own commitment to diversity.

    As for me, I can certainly also say that the other problem is Blacks don't enter the industry in large scale numbers -- we should.

    But that written African American participation in the digital world has risen dramatically and such that I think there's not the divide that existed even two years ago.

    I want to see a push for more diversity. To the extent my little post upset some people, they needed to be shook up a bit, really a lot. GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:14 AM

    [url=http://firgonbares.net/][img]http://firgonbares.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]autocad blocks, [url=http://firgonbares.net/]you buy photoshop[/url]
    [url=http://firgonbares.net/][/url] discount software discount software for sales
    adobe acrobat 9 pro serial number activation error [url=http://firgonbares.net/]CS4 Extended Mac[/url] where can i buy macromedia flash
    [url=http://firgonbares.net/]7 DVD Ultimate Mac[/url] serial number for filemaker pro 9
    [url=http://firgonbares.net/]filemaker pro apple version 9 downloads[/url] software reseller agreement
    adobe acrobat 9 standard [url=http://firgonbares.net/]ms office software[/b]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:43 AM

    Agree, diversity has risen.

    At Stanford computer science there's every shade of color from white to light black. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fow7iUaKrq4

    ReplyDelete