Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - any black people in it?



Ok, this space, having just written a cool blog post on how the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World signaled a rebirth of comic books, was internally compelled to ask this question: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: will it have any black people in it?

The concern comes from this video blogger being in the position, yet again, of being excited about a "geek culture movie" that dominated Comic Con 2010, then getting caught up in the hype, only to realize that the movie has no one in it that's black.

After awhile, that's grows tiresome and here's the point where that "awhile" has past.

I've not yet seen Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but I plan to, and I'm bringing my "Blackometer" with me. That's my patented device for determining how many blacks are in a movie in roles that count.

In other words, were the star, in this case Michael Cera, who plays Scott Pilgrim, has a speaking moment with them. You know, something beyond a high-five where the black person's not doing something identified as a "black thing" but in this case, a "geek thing" like, well, doing what the rest of the characters who are Scott Pilgrim's friends do. In other words, being one of them.

Now before you tell me that the Asian girl who's 17 was written in the comic book, please, they can take liberties in other areas, and they have done so with parts of the story, too.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. What started this pattern of thought was a cast photo from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World that was all white, save for the one Asian girl. Ouch.

I've made my point; I've got my Blackometer at the ready: it can read zero, one, two, or three. Let's hope Scott Pilgrim vs. The World's three or off the scale.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment