Thursday, April 14, 2011

2011 NFL Draft | Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald: No QB, But Newton Is Best One

This blogger has said the Arizona Cardinals don't need a quarterback, so taking one with the fifth pick at the 2011 NFL Draft isn't smart when the Cards have four young signal callers.

Now, Arizona Cardinals Wide Receiver Larry Fitzgerald enters the conversation, saying that the team should not draft a quarterback, a veteran one would be better, and that Auburn QB and Heisman Trophy Winner Cam Newton is "the best player in all of college football."

Yep. Better than Missouri Quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who's only ranked higher than Newton because of Gabbert's agent: Tom Condon. (Even NFL Network Analyst and former Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback Trent Green got into the act last night, saying that Gabbert was better because former quarterbacks coach and NFL coordinator Terry Shea was working with him. Well, Trent, why not just say it's because of his agent, Condon, who set the whole thing up. Trent didn't say Warren Moon was working with Newton, but he is. Think about it.)

At any rate, Larry Fitzgerald told Fox Sports Arizona's Jack Magruder...

I would doubt that we would draft a quarterback that high. I would doubt it. But, who am I? I'm just a player. Management hasn't told me if they are going to go in any direction. (My choice is) "Anybody that's going to help us win. That's really how I feel."

On Newton:


"If he didn't have to go through his little situation in college with his dad and all that, I think it would be a totally different ball game. I think a lot of his personal issues overshadowed his ability. We saw him on the field for 13 games this year, and he was hands down the best player in all of college football. When you are a player that talented at that level on that stage in the SEC, doing it every single week, it's going to be hard to deny what he is going to be able to do in the NFL. I think he will be a good pro...I think he'll do just fine. You look at guys like Donovan McNabb. He did a phenomenal job of adjusting. Even Michael Vick. He was a running quarterback in college and he has become a really good drop-back pocket passer with the ability to run, which even presents more challenges for a team to deal with."
On Gabbert:

"I saw a lot of him. I saw some tape on him. I really like Blaine. He's a talented player. He makes all the throws. He's got good mobility in the pocket, and he seems like a real cerebral guy. I think he is going to be a good fit wherever he lands."

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment