Monday, September 25, 2006

Fordham Spire - Does Chicago Really Need A 2,000-Foot Tall Building?



I was born in Chicago. At the age of six, my now late father drove me around the City and explained concepts like zoning and planning to me. He took me to the tallest buildings in Chicago and made me appreciate not just big buildings but the idea that Chicago was home to them. So, my college major was City Planning, and that was my focus in grad school. I love that Chicago embraces the big building.

But this one?

Fordham Spire was introduced over a year ago and has created a buzz around the country. It's a proposed twisting concrete building that will consist of 300 condo right by Lake Michigan and all priced at Pluto-level rates.

And Pluto doesn't even exist anymore, right?

At 2,000 feet, I ask this question: does Chicago need a structure of this size? In a city already laden with condos, and Donald Trump looking to plant another phalic flag of a set of dwelling units 1,360 feet into the sky, what does my city really need with this concrete monstrosity?

Hey, it's certainly innovative and the planning commission gave it the OK.

But. Geez. I just don't know. I'll have to give this one more thought. It's -- my objections -- have nothing to do with 9/11 at all. I just think there are limits to some things. This is just too tall to me.

But if it's built, I'll have to go up to the top. My Dad wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's a video on the tower. Ignore the music that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment