Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Jamie Foxx right about Roman Polanski

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com

Jamie Foxx has the right idea about Roman Polanski, who's in a Swiss prison as of this writing after being on the run from U.S. authorities for 27 years for raping a 13-year-old girl who's now a 45-year-old woman.


Jamie Foxx

According to MSNBC and Parade, Foxx said that had she been his daughter, Polanski would have been "missing". And..

“If it had been my daughter who was barely a teenager — my daughter is 15 — Roman Polanski would be missing ... period,” Foxx stated in an interview with Parade magazine. “It wouldn’t even get to the court case. But, that’s me and I wouldn’t want anyone else to follow that because you should let the justice system work it out.”


Foxx went on to explain that while his perspective might have been different had he known the director personally, as do many of his Hollywood peers, ultimately he believes “this whole issue is bigger than Roman Polanski.” So big, it forces Foxx to confront his own complex sense of revenge.


Same feeling for me; awful is the term for Polanski's actions and I'd have certainly took some action against him if she were my kid. The legal issues around Polanski are a Gordian knot; the victim should have final say on his fate.

Some people don't read or listen; I wrote and said that the victim's rights and wishes were being ignored. She - who's name or photo I will not use or present - said repeatedly she did not want to be contacted by the media or have the matter brought up again. 

Someone wrote that is was because she got a $500,000 payout.  It's not clear she ever saw that money at all.  When I read her heartfelt request to be left alone I took it to heart and didn't think about money; others should to.

But to then even think I sympathize with Roman Polanski in any way is the musing of a total nut case.

I'm thinking about the victim; I'm not one who sides with mob rule or crowd desires. I just believe the masses are just a little beyond the pale at times. It's about them and what they want and not the victim; that's the reason for my reaction.

In my view, if the victim wants him punished, then do it. If not, then we go with that. A hard call it is, but again, that's the victim's right in my view.

But that said, Polanski's in jail. I'm sure the victim feels some measure of relief from that news.

Someone wrote that it's not the victim's call in general. That's wrong. If I'm hit in the jaw by a pissed off stalker and the police asks me if I want to have my assailant arrested for assault, the ultimate say is with me as the victim.

Look at Oakland Raiders' Head Coach Tom Cable's situation. If now-former Assistant Coach Randy Hanson had said he didn't want to file a complaint in the alleged assault case, that matter would have been over.

But the Raiders fired Hanson with pay (well the team gave him that option) and so he's retaliating by going ahead with the legal charges. (Read my Cal Buddy Mike Silver's incredible interview with Hanson at Yahoo! Sports.)

The Marin County District Attorney's going to determine the next move soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment