Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Apple must fix the Safari memory leak problem



Apple Safari Logo
Apple's Safari browser has a horrible problem called a "memory leak" and it seems to be a more pronounced issue in the latest versions of the browser than in older ones.

A memory leak is when, after a period of time, your browser, which is the online field that's designed to function like a page and is used to access web pages and surf the World Wide Web, consumes more and more of your computer's memory until it reaches a point where it literally becomes impossible to use your computer. It's like your computer's stuck in cyber mud. You have to close any open software program or restart the entire computer.

In some case, I turn off Apple's "Airport" Internet access system and keep the browsers closed when I'm making videos.

Frankly, I've never had this problem until I started using the latest version of the Mac OSX Operating System. I have four different browsers: Safari, FireFox, Google Chrome, and Opera. I've had memory leak problems with all of them, with Safari exhibiting the worst level of leak and Opera showing the smallest rate of leak.

I enjoy using Safari because of the way the browser functions and how it feels when the leak problem's not an issue. FireFox has another set of problems related to what seems to be a "ghost" browser application that has not completely removed from my system. Thus, I have two FireFox apps that run as one when I open one icon. Weird.

That leaves Google Chrome and Opera. Google Chrome is great for blogging but the flash plugin times out after a few minutes, rendering it useless for video work. Opera's the only brower remaining that I use and gives me the fewest problems. But I am not a fan of the way it feels, as dumb as that reads, that's my take. I'd prefer to use Safari, but the leak problem's just a pain to deal with.

I checked and this problem's been around at least since 2006 with Apple's Safari, but I was using FireFox so often I never had to deal with it. Moreover the problem just wasn't as bad as it is today.

On my YouTube video someone explained that Sarafi 4.0.5 fixed the problem, but this internet search on Google reveals that's not the case at all.

If anyone has a workaround for this, please share it.

Meanwhile, Apple really should eliminate this problem once and for all.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 PM

    I'd like to see you cite some technical references these browser problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:22 PM

    Mine too...just upgraded to 5.0.2 and it's still doing it. I'm the same - like the 'feel' but damn this is annoying at times - esp when I have mult tabs open that I haven't either read or bookmarked yet. Then I'm digging through history. Come on Apple.

    ReplyDelete