Saturday, March 11, 2006

The New Community Centers: The Gym and The Farmers Market


On this lovely Saturday, I went to the great Lake Merrtt Farmers Market on Grand Avenue, then put my food in the car and went to Gold's Gym for a good, long workout.

I like people. What I most enjoy about meeting others is they're a window to another world. A different way of seeing, heck, just by the fact that they occupy different places in space than I do. But that's not what this is about.

I see so many people I know at both places that for me the market and the gym are community centers. Then, I overheard two women talking:

Tall Black Woman: "Do you work out at Club One, still?"
Short White Woman: "Not as much; say, there's something I need to ask you."

And I realized that the same is true for other people too. In an Internet world, it's great to still have places where you can meet people: the market, the gym, and the cafe and bar too.

Don't forget the bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment