Thursday, October 21, 2010

Juan Williams Fired CNN Rick Sanchez Style By NPR


Rick Sanchez is joined by Juan Williams in the newly developing ranks of broadcast journalists fired for making racially-charged statements. According to The Huffington Post, Juan Williams appeared on Bill O'Reilly's show The O'Reilly Factor Monday.

O'Reilly and Williams, who are good friends, were talking about Bill's statements on The View last week when he blamed Muslims for the 9-11 attack. His comments caused both Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar to walk off the set for a moment in time. This is what Juan Williams said in regarding that episode in time:

I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.


NPR fired Juan Williams without contacting him, much in the way CNN let go of Rick Sanchez just three weeks ago. A statement by NPR says that Williams was fired because his comments were "inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR."

Now, Williams finds the darlings of the conservative media are on his side, including Michelle Malkin, who called the move "unfreaking believable."

Normally, this blogger doesn't agree with Michelle Malkin on a lot of things, but here, she's right.  As much as I disagree with Williams - I have no such fear of anyone in Muslim garb - the man has a right to his view and should be able to express it.

To fire him, as NPR did, is just plain stupidly bad media.  At this time, NPR should have used Williams view as the basis for what would have been a very good segment on Muslims and prejudice, just as CNN should have milked the Rick Sanchez comment with programs on racial bias in the media.

What a shame.  For everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment