Monday, October 02, 2006

Mark Foley - A Simple Reminder That No One's What You Think They Are



For some reason, I'm not surprised that this story about Rep. Mark Foley came out. No, not because I know him. Never met the man. But because it's yet another reminder that no one really is who we think they are. Moreover, the more we try to hide who we really are, the more likely the truth's going to see the light of day.

It also reminds me of a conversation I had with a special friend I was having dinner with about just under a month ago. I explained that I don't use another name in my Internet communications, and that I'm open because I think 1) its the best way to protect my identity, 2) if I did hide information about my identity, one way or another the truth would come out, and 3) if I were hiding it would be because I didn't want to be discovered doing something I should not have done. So, the answer is be open in ones actions.

Now if Foley were such a person, he'd never send such emails to 16-year old congressional pages. Yikes! But he elected to do something for which he never thought he'd get caught. Well, he did.

It's not a happy story. I hope Foley gets the help he obviously needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment