Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11 - Remembering 9-11-01 on 9-11-09

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com



9-11-2001 is a day I'll certainly never forget.

I had a habit of falling asleep on my couch, in part because I used my laptop there as an escape from working on my nearby desk. All the better to code my then new XFL Simworld game and catch up on the TV news, as I had a better angle to see the TV screen.

I watched KTVU Channel Two religiously, then, and "Mornings On Two" was a guilty pleasure for me. So the TV was almost always on "2" at that time; so it was the morning of 9-11.

I'd fell asleep on the couch, again, but this time I when I woke up the TV was on and I could not believe my eyes: a giant building was on fire. When I focused my eyes and ears I realized it was one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City. I could not believe it.



(Above) Bill Chackhes' video tour of "Ground Zero"

The first thing I did was call my Mom and (now late) stepfather and told them to tune in two Channel 2. The second thing I did was send emails to friends about what was happening. The third thing I did was just watch.

I figured it was just a fire as at that point, it wasn't clear what caused flames to start blowing out of the building. Then as the time passed, it was reported that a plane crashed into it, later the plane was identified as a Boeing 767. I've flown on those alot, so much so I felt as if I knew it inside and out. That's a big plane.



My mind raced. What could have happened to cause that? And as it did, and friends called me, and I watched, the second plane hit the second tower and for a time, both buildings were on fire.

I thought about my friend Dan who wanted me to work for American Express in New York, where I would have been near that building as AMEX World Headquarters was in the World Trade Center. Then I thought about Dan and how he was doing and tried to call him there - no luck.

As more time passed, and it seemed the flames from massive buildings got larger, something unexpected happened that was captured on TV - they fell, World One first, then sometimes later, World Two.

I still to this day can't believe I saw that. I just can't.

I had to get out of the house, so I walked down to Oakland's Lakeshore Avenue and to Arzmendi's where I used to have a morning coffee and pastry with the neighborhood's work-at-home types. But this time it was different.

People who usually got their coffee and whatever and drove to work in an office where still in the neighborhood. It was actually crowded, and everyone was talking about what I just saw: the destruction of the World Trade Center.

It was frankly the first time I've experienced people just bonding in a way I'd only seen after the 1989 Loma Piereta Earthquake and the Oakland Hills Fire in 1991. Yep, I was here for both of those disasters.

But the difference is you could feel America come together. Right now. Over the disaster. Man, that day hurt. Hurt alot. It hurts to have seen so many people suffer then who were in the building, and later, who were families of the people in it.

They didn't do anything wrong at all. And I'm not sure what they could have done that, even if it was wrong, would call for that kind of punishment.

It's an event that bonds people to this day. My good friend, New Yorker Bill Chachkes, who took me on his own 9-11 tour in the video above, talk about that day again and again, and again.

It's a day I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment