Saturday, March 06, 2010

Zennie's slip and fall on way to Oscar Red Carpet for press conference



Hollywood and Highland is the place where the Kodak Theater is which is the location of Sunday's Oscar telecast and The Red Carpet. The pavement next to The Red Carpet that's used for pedestrians and has the Hollywood Stars on it, is of some kind of tarrazo material such that during a rain it gets so slippery that it's dangerous.

I should know because as I explained in the video, I fell twice.

The first time I slipped as I was walking onto the pavement after crossing Highland Avenue to get to a press conference announcing the winner of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and MTV-U student competition to be the interviewer on The Red Carpet Sunday. I managed to catch myself that time as I was falling backwards. After that, I tried to walk carefully and slowly. A lot of good that did.

On my slippery way to the press event, I had an idea to turn back and make a quick video to explain to someone to take steps to prevent someone from falling the way I did. I turned and then took two steps onto the pavement and the next thing I saw was black. I felt like I was alive in a black tunnel, then saw light, then a security person asking me if I wanted help from the end of the tunnel. I said "yes" and reached out. I felt a number of people grab me at once and pulled me up; at that point I fought to clear my head, and did.

It was scary. What happened was I'd slipped and fell back; my head hit the steel plate of a steel girder that was part of the support structure for The Red Carpet.

What went through my head, which is still now a bit fuzzy as I concentrate to write this, was how much I needed to stay alive for my Mother as I'm the only child. That was what made me fight to get back to normal and once I did, I resolved to try to return to normal, so I headed for the press conference. But I was, and am not, the same.

Beyond me, someone should do something about that pavement. I was told several people fell, and met the mother of a little girl who told me her daughter fell. Reportedly, the property in question belongs to the City of Los Angeles, so I'm going to tweet this over to Mayor Vililaragosa and bring it to his attention, especially since he follows me on Twitter.

I want to take this time to thank the security staff at Hollywood and Highland for their care and assistance.

It's one thing for this to happen today, but it would be a disaster if it were to happen on Oscar Sunday. Pray for no rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment