Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Paul McCartney's White House Event by: Nikky Raney




Earlier tonight Sir Paul McCartney, 67, accepted the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.


The show is to be broadcast as a PBS special July 28 for those of us who were unable to attend the White House event.


Sir Paul was very grateful, "I wouldn't have believed you if you told me as a kid growing up in Liverpool that this would happen. So it's very special for me."


McCartney was happy to receive the prize, but it made him even more happy to receive the prize from President Obama. McCartney stated:


"Even though you have difficult issues (facing you), there are billions of us who are rooting for you."



Obama said of the Beatles, “They helped to lay the soundtrack for an entire generation."


As apart of this tribute Stevie Wonder, The Jonas Brothers, Faith Hill, Jack White, Dave Grohl, Elvis Costello, Corinne Bailey Rae, and other artists performed some of McCartney's best hit songs. Even though The Jonas Brothers are the last people I would ever expect, but at least it wasn't Justin Bieber.



Jerry Seinfeld made an appearance; he expressed his confusion toward McCartney's lyrical choices referring to "She was just 17. You know what I mean."


"I'm not sure I do know what you mean, Sir Paul. I think I know what you mean. And I think there's a law enforcement agency in a couple of states that might want to ask you a few questions."


Sir Paul McCartney ended the night by singing "Hey Jude." The honoree waited until President Obama left the room before saying his final bit:


"After the last eight years, it's great to have a president who knows what a library is."


The Gershwin Prize is a BIG DEAL. This is the highest award given by the American government for pop music. McCartney is the third to receive this award, after Paul Simon and Stevie Wonder.


The award is named after George and Ira Gershwin, brothers who were legendary songwriters in America.


I noticed that no one mentioned anything about Ringo Starr. Hmm, maybe he wasn't invited. I think it's a bit strange that there was no mention of John Lennon (and no mention of George Harrison). I love the Beatles, but I remember there being three other band members other than Paul McCartney... but that's a story for another time. There were over 200 guests including his girlfriend (Nancy Shevell) and his children.


Congratulations to Paul McCartney.

He was apart of one of the greatest bands of all times, and he definitely is deserving of this award.


(photo courtesy of ForgottenJournal)


Blog post written by: Nikky Raney

The Future of Journalism


p.s. make sure to read about the love song McCartney sang to Michelle Obama.


No comments:

Post a Comment