Friday, October 01, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month - October

Suburban Atlanta, GA - Today, October 1st, is the start of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Today is also my Mom's 76th birthday and she looks every bit of 56 years old. This blogger is fortunate to have her here in my life.

On January 14th, 2005, she called me to say that she had Breast Cancer. That was a total shock. It was also the beginning of the worst and definitely the weirdest year of my life.

 Both my father and my stepfather died of another killer, Prostate Cancer, and both in March and in October of 2005.

Fortunately, Mom survived and after being given an effective drug called Femara. It's an early-stage drug that really works.

Medications aside, I'm glad she's here, even with all the arguments we have.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zennie,
    I'm a representative of It's The Journey. Our Atlanta 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer is taking place this weekend. We wanted to see if you would be interested in writing about this event for your blog. Please contact Joe at 904-910-4454 for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zennie, glad you're visiting your mom. My mom was a 52 year breast cancer survivor, diagnosed with stage four breast cancer in 1948, given treatment and sent home to die. She eventually died, 54 years later. And my dad died of cancer in 1973. I hate the disease.

    ReplyDelete