Friday, April 22, 2011

Cisco Talks Future Of Flip, Pisses Off Facebook Fans

Well, as if Cisco Systems upset enough people, including this blogger, with its announcement that it's discontinuing the Flip Video Camera, it's Facebook Page message called the "Future Of Flip" has pissed off Flip fans even more.

In a nutshell, Cisco says the following:

1) Tech support will be provided until December 31, 2013
2) If you buy a Flip, they will support the 1-year warranty
3) Flip Share Software and support will be available through December 31, 2013
4) Flip Video Cameras will be available online and in stores until supplies run out.

Finally, Cisco Systems reports:

The teams have been reading your comments from emails and our social media community pages and are touched by the overwhelming number of thoughts and messages.

We hope you will continue to have fun with your Flip video camera, and we appreciate your loyalty and business.

Well, this blogger's video message still stands:



But reading the Facebook page, there are a lot of people just as angry as I am for Cisco's action. Here's a sample of the comments:

Stacy Marie Arvelo-Kaegi - I got one as a gift the very same day Cisco announced their exit. :(......And I love it so much and so do my students. :)

Jinger S. Pasternak - I'm beyond angry! I bought my flip for near 200 bucks the day before this was even announced not to mention bought the extended warranty as well! So what happens in 3-4 years before my warranty ends and I need a replacement.. am I going to still get it? Doubt it! *pissed*

Peter Coopersmith - To NOT support flip share past 12/31/13, means the product becomes useless for the very pupose many bought the Flip. Most consumers assumed that a company the size of Ciso would not put out a product that they didn't plan on supporting for years to come. Cisco is using profoundly bad judgement... I will NEVER buy or SUPPORT another Cisco product. I have had Cisco rounter in my home for 20 years.... MY next purchase will be anything but...

Derek Hoiem - I'm even a CSCO shareholder and they should at least sell the company to someone who wants to buy and nurture it. There's a market and a future for pocket sized devices that do ONLY video. Just because phones have cameras doesn't mean that the digital camera market went away.

Robert Ng - Why buy the company and then kill it? SMH

Gina Elwood - Gill I recently used mine on a Patriot Guard Ride for a fallen hero. I too am sad to hear this. I will continue to use mine. (I won my Flip as a prize)

Chris Robinson - Well that sucks, My flip HD is less than a year old and now its gone the way of the vcr. I know thats a lil oversimplifying but it is what it is.

Or maybe more like a useful Pet Rock.

Mary Johnson - I love my flip, too... maybe someone *cough google* will buy it
Jill Cooper - the writing was on the wall with all the smart phones... but I still love my flip and like someone else said, I'll use it until it dies.
Tom Levier - Stupid stupid stupid...
Mark Frank - why not just try selling flip div.?
Alison Heller - So sad you guys are closing. iphone cameras don't compare. The videos I post here with my Flip are clear, beautiful and good quality. iPhone videos are grainy and sound like putting a child in a garbage disposal. I think you're making a huge mistake. I NEVER use my phone as a video camera. I use my Flip.
John Tucker - Contact Cisco and let them know of your disappointment and concern. Hopefully they will listen if they get enough emails.

Whatever the case, Cisco's done it again: proved that it totally missed the social media boat in promoting Flip Video Cameras in the first place.  And the Forbes blog post stating that Cisco "probably" made the right move is completely baseless; the post doesn't even explain why the move was a good one.

Stay tuned, and check out the blog Love My Flip!

No comments:

Post a Comment