Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Phoenix a "hell hole"? Arizona capitol was a great Super Bowl host!

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com

I just read where Republican Arizona Governor Jan Brewer let slip a comment that the state's capital, Phoenix, was a "hell hole".

I really beg to differ.

I attended the 2008 Super Bowl where Phoenix was the host city and I had a really great time. The fun started on the flight to Phoenix from Oakland:

Where I got a good look at the Phoenix metro area, which looked pretty inviting to me. I'd never seen so many homes with pools and palm trees from above!



And sports agent Leigh Steinberg held a kick-ass party:



Ok, it's the SUPER BOWL, but just because a city had it doesn't mean it was the best host, ok? For example in Detroit, which hosted the 2005 Super Bowl (Pittsburgh Steelers versus Seattle Seahawks), the downtown was well-planned but none of the extra police officers knew their way around.

So when it came to getting directions, forget it. The first words out of their mouths were "I'm not from here." Ok. So what are you doing working the Super Bowl I asked? While the parties there were fun, Detroit's weather and ill-informed police officers made getting around a horrible effort.

Phoenix did a great job by contrast. Ok, it's obvious the city needs more downtown development but it's also evident the municipality is making moves to clear that problem.

Arizona's governor could try and help Phoenix rather than tossing insults at a city she represents as an elected official, and that at least tries to improve itself with events like the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

  1. It is one thing to "Visit" Phoenix, to live here is an entirely different can of beans! I live here and cannot wait to move next year. It may look nice on the surface when you visit, but after living here a while the real Phoenix starts to seep out. The Governor does not hold back and tells it like it is whether folks see what she is saying as "Politically Correct" or not. She is right, like she is much of the time. Phoenix really is a hell hole and I cannot even begin to tell you how many ways.

    ReplyDelete