Monday, November 09, 2009

Chief's running back Larry Johnson cut by team after blasts

Proving that some celebrities aren't as fortunate as Taylor Swift, Kansas City Chiefs Running Back Larry Johnson was released by the team today.

The online press release reads:

The Kansas City Chiefs released RB Larry Johnson on Monday. In 75 games (55 starts) with Kansas City, Johnson rushed 1,375 times for 5,996 yards (4.4 avg.) with 55 touchdowns. He also registered 151 receptions for 1,369 yards (9.1 avg.) with six TDs. He concluded his Chiefs career with 30 100-yard rushing games and also added two 100-yard receiving games.

Johnson established an NFL single-season record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006 when he set a franchise single-season mark with 1,789 rushing yards. He originally entered the league as the Chiefs first-round selection (27th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Penn State.

What it doesn't discuss is how Johnson insulted (rightfully) his coach Todd Haley and got off f-blasts (wrongly) that were slurs against the homosexual community. While Johnson apologized for his actions (which Taylor Swift has yet to do)

Johnson's Twitter tweets are protected, so no word from that source on his reaction to the news. But it's important to repost his apology:

First of all, I want to apologize to the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs and the rest of the NFL, Commissioner Goodell, the Chiefs organization, Coach Todd Haley, his staff, and my teammates for the words I used yesterday"

"I regret my actions. The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate. I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said. "

"I also want to apologize to all the kids who view athletes as role models. I was not a good role model yesterday and hopefully I can become a better role model. We all make mistakes, and the challenge is to learn from them. I will do my best to learn from this one as I move toward becoming a better person, teammate, and member of the Kansas City chiefs team and community."

Johnson leaves a Chief's team that's one of the worst in the NFL with a 1 and 7 record as of this writing. I'm not a fan of Chief's Coach Todd Haley because I do not like the way he treats his players. He talks down to them, argues with them, and lords over them, and its no surprise they don't perform for him.

Former Coach Herman Edwards may not have been an "X's and O's" guy but the players wanted to win for him - they could have bounced back from a 2 and 14 record under Edwards if he were retained.

I like Haley's offensive schemes but he's got to really change the way he relates to players. Why Chief's GM Scott Pioli thought he was the best choice is beyond me.

Meanwhile Larry Johnson is off to a better place with a number of NFL teams, like the San Diego Chargers, who could employ his talent. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting take, it seems this year that new coaches have either been a home run of a complete disaster.

    ReplyDelete