Saturday, December 26, 2009

Jasper Schuringa's on Facebook and CNN - become a fan!

I just saw CNN's interview with Jasper Schuringa, who's the hero of Northwest Flight 235. I did not record the conversation as it happened to come on as I sat down to eat, but I did listen attentively. Jasper Schuringa said that when he saw the fire coming from alleged terrorist Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, he just "leaped over some seats" and went to put out the flame.




Jasper said "I didn't think; I just reacted."

It's hard for me or anyone else to say what we would have done in that situation. The last two fights I took to get here to Georgia for Christmas, I was so tired I fell into a deep sleep. It's possible I would have been zonked out on Jasper's flight, too. Regardless, Jasper's actions are a reminder that people should not be afraid to take action.

As Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab' was on fire, from Jasper Schuringa's account, it seemed others around him were initially afraid to act. In fact, Jasper seemed like he was holding back criticism of his fellow passengers. Good for him.

Jasper Schuringa's Facebook page has just over 200 friends as of this writing, but that's about to change. He also has one of those "Become a fan" buttons - I don't have one. But I did become a fan of him for what he did. You should too. Click here.

Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment