Wednesday, February 10, 2010

John Mayer Playboy Interview - by Cat

With John Mayer making big waves in the news these days, this blogger thought, why waste more words on him? But no opinion/ news article seems to share my angle on the matter. Sure he talks about himself a lot and made the absolute inexcusable act of using the n word. But what struck me was his blatant, disgusting treatment of women. And not women as in the everyday woman. I’m talking about his treatment of women he supposedly loved and dated.

In the Playboy interview, John Mayer expresses how in his attempt to be so open and funny in interviews, he has become known as a “shock jock”. Sure that’s fine, make your sordid comments on money and how you had zits as a 16 year old. But, as a woman, I have to speak up for the constant stream of ladies that pepper his interviews. Of his ex- girlfriend Jessica Simpson, he said “That girl, for me, is a drug. And drugs aren't good for you if you do lots of them. Yeah, that girl is like crack cocaine to me... Sexually it was crazy. That's all I'll say. It was like napalm, sexual napalm... “

It seems that some semblance of a conscience springs forth when he interrupts the interviewer to express his love of Jen (Jennifer Aniston for those under a rock and are unaware that they dated on and off for the past two years). “Pardon me for interrupting. I love Jen so much that I’m now thinking about how bad I would feel if she read this and was like, “Why are you putting me in an article where you’re talking about someone else? I don’t want to be in your lineage of kiss-and-tells.” But, bare with me, why is he doing this? If she has expressed her unhappiness then why does he continue to do it?

Well, for whatever reason, he is still talking. And the crass comments that he makes about women, specifically women that he has supposedly been in committed relationships with, only adds to why his reputation has taken a downturn in recent years.

I support relationships and dating and whether you use the terms 'slut' or 'manwhore' I don't care. If someone wishes to use labels, fine. But I am not placing that on John Mayer. I am simply saying keep your mouth shut. I think he is a good guy in his core, but please, leave the gossiping about women for between you and your guy friends in the krav maga locker room, not national publications. Now, I have a lot to do and a midnight bedtime to catch.

Written by Cat of SomeRedCat.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment