Thursday, July 15, 2010

Star Wars' Dave Prowse banned from Comic Con Star Wars Fan Days

Dave Prowse 
In this Comic Con update, 75-year-old Dave Prowse, who was the body behind Darth Vader in the Star Wars movie series, has been banned - that's right banned - from Comic Con's Star Wars Fan Days and, as his Darth Vader website put it:

It is with regret that I have been informed by my friends at C2 Ventures, Ben and Phillip, that I am not to be invited to C5 this year or any other Lucas Film associated events. After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have "burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself" - no other reason given.

I have also been advised by the promoter of Paris Manga in September that LFL have requested no photo opportunities with the 501 Squadron, even though I am commander in chief of the 501.

Sincere apologies to all my fans who were hoping to meet with me - I shall miss you too. As you will see from my events page I will be at many conventions all over the world so we can still keep in touch.

And Dave Prowse' Facebook page explains the Comic Con information in more detail:


Updated Dave's appearance schedule on his official web site. Dave is not appearing at DragonCon, Chicago ComiCon, Star Wars Fan Days, or the shows in Glasgow and Montreal. Dave has added new shows including his rescheduled trip to Turkey.


Wow. Curious to know just what Darth Vader did to "burn bridges" with LucasFilm? Speculation runs rampant, and LucasFilm's not talking. But this comment over at Blastr.com was provocative:


Scopi on Jul 10, 2010 03:05 PM
When it comes to burning bridges, I assume that Lucas Film wouldn't be very happy with story I've heard Prowse tell a couple times, along the lines that he thought he was doing the voice of Darth Vader and that James Earl Jones was only hired to appeal to the "black audience." I think Prowse walked back from that a bit later on, but maybe he's been telling accusatory versions of it again.


I can't see George Lucas making that stupid an assumption about the "black audience" and that take on Prowse part is boarderline racist. My insider information is that George thought he needed a more menancing voice that this one:



The simple fact is Darth Vaders supposed to sound like someone who can crush you with a thought, and not like someone who would beat you with a wet noodle. At any rate, he's out of Comic Con.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment