Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oakland News: Mayor's Race - Sue Piper's Confusing Email On Jean Quan

Last week this blogger expressed displeasure with the appearance of Oakland Councilmember Jean Quan's very good newsletter, because it's confusing to know if Quan's in her duties as councilmember or if she's in her mode of running for Mayor of Oakland.

 Now, Sue Piper, who represents Jean in campaign activities, responded for Quan via email. Unfortunately, the response was more confusing than expected. She wrote:

The weekly newsletter is a private enterprise funded by jean quan and not funded by the city.

Sue piper

Here's the problem.

As Oakland Councilmember, Jean Quan's paid by Oakland taxpayers. That means the tax dollars go to the production of the newsletter, which means the city is involved in the newsletter.

It just doesn't look good.

It's not that Jean's being sinister, just frankly a little careless. In a hotly contested Oakland Mayor's Race, taking on practices like this one just doesn't send the best message. Moreover, Sue really should have thought through that email before sending it. Very surprised she did that, but she did.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:37 AM

    A real journalist would have looked into the story and would know that the Newletter - a weekly email to all district 4 citizens and any interested party - has been distributed for most of the 8 years Jean has been a council person.

    Its a great newsletter and as a resident of District 7, I have been happy to get it every week. My Councilperson makes no efforts to inform the people.

    Jean puts it out every week and I understand from her husband Floyd that she often does it from home during the wee hours of the morning. That is clearly volunteer time.

    I don't know if you are showing a bias here, but the logic about salary and tax dollars is confused and over-reaching. If I worked for the city [I don't] and earned my money during proscribed hours, my work and my performance are of interest to taxpayers. But after I earn it, if I choose to buy my dinner at Whole Foods or Safeway or even Taco Bell, that's my decision about my money.

    Every Council person should make similar efforts to keep their constituents informed.

    Do you have a problem with that??

    I have a problem with Don Perata being mayor and selling out East and West Oakland. But that is a different discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a blogger, with a bias. The people you call "real" journalists are the ones with the biases they hide. Plus, you're afraid to use your real name. What's that about?

    ReplyDelete