Thursday, April 01, 2010

YouTube's new video page is great..but

YouTube, the company where this video-blogger is a partner, or "YouTube Partner", rolled out its redesigned video page on the evening of March 31st and to some fanfare. A select group of YouTube Partners were given the corporate "heads up" at a YouTube Partners and Management Meeting held last Thursday, March 26th at YouTube Headquarters and the focus of this video:



The new YouTube video page is a welcome change from the previous version, but the problem for the everyday user like this blogger is that elements like the video embed code are now hidden and have to be accessed via a kind of drop down button that works with the strength of the Internet connection. In other words, if the Internet connection is weak, that area of the page will present a note "loading" and seems to be stuck in that position.

The older model Video Page had the embed code ready for copy; it wasn't hidden behind a drop down access system. I'd prefer to see the embed code right on the page, and as little "load-wait" drop downs as possible, preferably none.

What I do like about the new YouTube video page design is that videos listed on the right start with my videos just after the featured video. The old design was such that one had to push an arrow button to see my videos, but videos from other channels were openly displayed on my page.

I'd prefer a video page design such that more of my videos were shows and not one that gave the viewer so many chances to leave it. As a YouTube Partner that features ads on the site, YouTube's setting it up for a person to go to non-add-supported pages.

Hopefully, YouTube solves that problem, and soon.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Had the same thoughts. Went their earlier to day to get my URL which inthe past was visible on the side -- and had to fish around for while.. to figure out where it was.

    That said, I am awaiting the day when I can become a partner. Just need a budget to make a big splurge. I, you, we can only keep going and getting better at what we do. Hopefully the day willcome.

    www.youtube.com P1915
    http://www.zipinpolitis dot com

    ReplyDelete