Monday, July 12, 2010

YouTube Partner Support changes not communicated to YouTubers

It's one thing to know the rules, but quite another when it seems the rules are changed without your knowledge.

In this case, the entire YouTube Partner Support staff has been changed without notice to this YouTuber or any online news.

Erik Brown, who this blogger came to see as a benevolent enforcer, has been replaced by...someone. And this happened without a word or email or blog. Nothing at all.

Brown paid an instrumental role in making sure my case was understood as I was negotiating with TMZ.com for the right to use their Miley Cyrus video. Erik Brown was a steady, reasoned, yet firm hand.

But now, for reasons not known, Brown is gone. Indeed, it seems that many of the YouTube Partner Support Team that existed and I met are gone.

If YouTube does not want video-bloggers and is favoring people who do "shows," it should just say so. It's an abrupt change to see YouTube "just do" without explanation.

I'm now beginning to understand why some YouTubers like Renetto don't do YouTube any more. Something's wrong. Something's missing. And they're not talking about it.


But I am.


Plus, I get the impression someone at YouTube didn't like the fact that Erik Brown was helpful.  I hope I'm wrong; I was a fan of the old YouTube, but this new one's not feeling so good at all.  

YouTube and News Organizations

The impression here is YouTube is not as focused on really building news organization partners, nor does YouTube Partner Support understand the unique DMCA rules afforded to news organizations.  More news blogger should be YouTube Partners, but does YouTube even want that?

I'm not convinced this is the case, anymore.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment