Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ESPN suspends Bob Griese for racist remark; let go of Steve Phillips

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com



ESPN's shedding of tortious talkers continues as they suspend or out-right fire all of its analysts and broadcasters who were accused of making a racist remark in the case of NFL Legend Bob Griese, or involved in a sex scandal, as was the case of Steve Phillips, who was fired Monday after a sex scandal involving himself and ESPN Production Assistant Brooke Hundley.

The act that got the former Miami Dolphins quarterback in hot water - and I've got to admit I'm surprised he was outright suspended for this - was when he said that NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya was "out having a taco" in response to, well, here's an explaination of what Griese said according to the Huffington Post:

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

While Bob apologized on air, the flip joke of a comment cost him a week without work on ESPN.

Now, I have to comment that I think we're getting a little too sensitive here. Yeah, I wonder why Bob would "go there" and it signals that Griese saw the man as Latino first, then a person, but Bob also appologized for it. But I suppose a week of forced vacation won't hurt him.

Still, I agree with "CubanJoe" over at Hispanic Business, who wrote:

Cuban Jose
10/27/2009 2:46:10 PM PST
Why all the fuss over nothing. To suspend someone over a remark like the one he made is beyond me. I am Hispanic and that coment would not affect me one bit. Taco Bell is more American than Spanish any way.


Sometimes I think we're a little too neurotic for our own good. Besides, I can't stand Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment