Saturday, December 26, 2009

Urban Meyer stepping down - history of health problems

In stunning news, Urban Meyer, the Head Coach at the University of Florida, and the father of the modern Spread Offense, is stepping down due to health concerns.




Urban Meyer


According to the University of Florida Sports Information Department, Urban Meyer made this announcement Saturday afternoon. Meyer said:




"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," said Meyer. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."


Urban Meyer has the best record amoung active coaches in college football. Meyer has 95 victories, just 18 losses for a .841 winning percentage in his nine seasons of coaching.

Urban Meyer rang up a school-record 22-game winning streak, two SEC Championships and two BCS National Championships.

But Urban Meyer's best known for the Spread Offense he created then refined at Utah and Florida.  The system, which combines spread "Airraid" passing patterns with option running, changed the strategic face of both college football and the NFL.

In hospital with chest pains after 2009 SEC Championship


According to OnlyGators.com, Meyer had been battling concerns about his health for years. But after the 2009 SEC Championship Game - a 32 to 13 loss to Alabama - they came up again as Meyer was hospitalized with chest pains. In 1998, as an assistant at Notre Dame, Meyer had headaches; doctors discovered a non-life-threatening arachnoid cyst on his brain.

Stay tuned for updates.



1 comment:

  1. I think Urban will be back for next year. I dont think his ultra copmetitive nature will allow him to take a season off from Florida.

    ReplyDelete