Sunday, October 31, 2010

Jerry Brown For California Governor Over Meg Whitman

Regardless of your view of Jerry Brown - and Oaklanders have as many views of Brown as their are City Council districts - it's hard to get passed the fact that he's more than prepared to be California's next governor. The first and most obvious reason is Brown's been there before.

"Governor Brown" is called that because Jerry was Governor of California. And while his record is both harmed and helped by the battle against, and then the support for, Proposition 13, no one can deny that Jerry has the knowledge, experience, and relationships to make a difference in Sacramento. 

But, let's face it, we all knew this was coming.

Everyone in Oakland who pays half a mind of attention to politics knew Jerry was planning for this moment - election day November 2, 2010 - when he ran for Mayor of Oakland and won in 1998. A number of people said he was working to change his image from that of "Mayor Moonbeam" to one of centrist problem solver.

His final path on the way to this moment was running for and winning the race for California Attorney General. Jerry, as much as this blogger may not have liked it at times, had a plan and stuck to it.  He continues that positive habit to today.  It's something that will be good for California.

Would I have preferred the Jerry plan include enthusiastic support for the Super Bowl I was charged with bringing to Oakland? Yes. Did it take me years to get over the political battle I waged against what seemed to be a set of Oaklanders, including Jerry, who had changing sets of agendas? Yes. Did I start Oakland's first blog (Oakland Focus) mostly out of sheer anger with Governor Brown and them. Yes. Did we talk about that later? Yes.

My message to Jerry was that I was never going to go away as a person who mattered in Oakland, and that even if he or anyone else didn't want to, they would be forced to pay attention to what I had to say. I can say Jerry gets that now. I'm done.

As I told him recently, losing the right to host the 2005 Super Bowl took me years to get over.  I may live the rest of my life never completely recovering from that episode, because it showed me why Oakland never completely gets to the point of real urban success.

So be it.  I decided to do what Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris told me to do: use my brains on myself, because few cared about Oakland as much as I did.  Elihu was right.  I can say the National Football League has been a friend through that period, and up to today.  One day, I'll write a book and make a movie about that moment of my life.  It has to be seen to be believed.

For me, the whole matter is done, and I want nothing from the Governor other than what this blog post is doing: to wish him well and ask that you vote for him.

But that aside, I really do believe Jerry Brown will make a good Governor of California.  Indeed, Jerry Brown's returning to his rightful place in this state's colorful culture.  He knows, and arguably is, California.  Thus, he's the person best able to at least take a good crack at straightening out California.

What? You'd rather have Meg Whitman?

Ha.  No.  Big HA HA.

For this blogger, the former eBay CEO's run for Governor will always be marked by the signal she sent to majority minority cities like Oakland.  A point of view encapsulated in this video I created a few months ago, where Whitman's staffers sent a message of fear of Oakland and to Oaklanders that's a punch line from a script for The Colbert Report:



You want the fearmonger for Governor of California? A person who's shown hostility to her own Latino family housekeeper, insulted Fresno, California, and dissed Oakland?

Please.

Vote for Jerry Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment