Thursday, March 08, 2007

GDC San Francisco - Day Four Of Five Days

I am writing from the lobby of the W Hotel waiting for my friend Randy and after my attendance at Day Four of this five-day Game Developers Conference, or GDC.

Now, I found out about the conference via Randy, who's in the business of placing ads in games. Well, he was in the business. His company AdSacpe Media was just purchased by Google for about $23 million. So now it seems Randy's not going to be retained by the firm. He came to the conference in search of a job.

Me?

I came not because Randy told me about it -- I could have stayed away -- but because a deep curiousity over what was done at these large meetings and a desire to find a real good student or students who would take the "interface" design of our Sports Business Simulation products The Oakland Baseball Simworld and The XFL Simworld and totally update and redesign it.

Or as Randy would say "Take it to The Next Level."

After some poking around, I'm certain I founds that person -- or rather school. Actually, I discovered three programs: The Savanah Art College, The University of California Business R&D Program, and The Academy Of Art College in San Francisco.

There may be more programs, and I'm sure there are -- for example, USC has a program -- but I've at least found three to start.

As for the conference itself, it's hoot. When I combine this experience with WonderCon, which I just attended over the weekend, I've now got a full dose of what's new and hot in entertainment pop-culture. There must be between 30,000 and 50,000 people here, mostly male by far, and with most of but not all of the women attendees models from different promotion agencies hired to staff the various booth events.

I've got a lot of video to upload and edit from this, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment