Thursday, November 06, 2008

Rep Rahm Emanuel May Be Obama Chief of Staff But "Thinking About It"

In the assembly of the Obama cabinet, one name was mentioned first: Illinois Congressman Rahm Emanuel.  "Rahmy", as he's called, is a charismatic political figure who's known for his quick wit and fast decision-making.  I met Emanuel at the DNC Convention and had the pleasure of attending his party, "Chicago Night In Denver" at Fado's. 

Then, at Pepsi Center the Wednesday night of the convention, I literally ran into Rahmy three times in 27 minutes (we calculated this).  I was trying to get an interview with him the first time, but the last two times were totally by accident, and so random that Emanuel said "If this keeps up, our wives will talk" which reminded me of how much I would prefer marriage at ths point, but...

That aside, my read of Rahmy is that he's very confident, and if you can't match his level of confidence, he could eat you alive.  He's not a soft touch and indeed, he's very much like me in his temperment. (Which is why I like him so much.) 

As to his failure to just plain take the job right off, it's a smart move.  He was right to put the breaks on the annoucement publicly rather than say he's going to take the job, then all of a sudden not do it. 

I totally disagree with Joe Scarbourough in total.  Rahm's name was just kind of thrown out there, but Barack Obama's said nothing to confirm it.  This is pretty much media driven, and the Obama campaign may have to step in and put out the fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment