Sunday, May 16, 2010

Missing The ING Bay to Breakers and The Beach Chalet

Suburban Atlanta, GA - Today marks the first weekend in over two decades that this blogger has not ran in or even been in the San Francisco Bay Area to be a part of The San Francisco Bay to Breakers.

Last year marked the first time I didn't run it; I was on an ING press truck and created videos and video interviews of the runners from it. Talking with Sammy Kipwara and the very shy Lineth Chepkurui last year was fun. It's funny to see that the same group dominated the Bay to Breakers this year.

This is Lineth Chepkurui's 2nd Bay to Breakers win and her 3rd consecutive year placing either first or second. From my experience, Lineth's silent, peaceful way masks the fierce competitor that fuels the incredible records she's tallied: third straight Women's Champion and double-World-record holder, this time clocking in at 38:07. Amazing.

Just for grins, this is my Bay to Breakers video from 2009:



I miss seeing Sammy Kipwara. Sammy's 2009 performance was something to see. I've never seen a person run so fast in my life, and it wasn't on television.

No Bay to Breakers Controversy in 2010


In 2009, the Bay to Breakers was the center of a dispute over changes in rules designed to crackdown on problems like public urination. It marked the creation of a new public figure, Ed Sharpless, who led a group of people dedicated to the preservation of The Bay to Breakers. It also marked a turn into what to me seemed to be a more boring Bay to Breakers. Not because of the rule changes, but because of a general alteration in San Francisco culture.

What I remember most about the Bay to Breakers was some organizer arranging for 10,000 cups of Miller Lite Beer to be ready for the first runners to finish. That was 1988 and my time as 1:04:30. The beer at the end was a great incentive to continue running at that pace for several years to come.

Then, in 1994 , the beer stopped flowing so freely, which is another way of saying it wasn't free anymore. Eventually, what was known as The San Francisco Examiner Bay to Breakers, wasn't because the Examiner bowed out. The name concert performances drawing stars like the late Ray Charles and The Raylettes were replaced by bands I'd never heard of. Now, the runners Footstock that used to go until 6 PM, stops at 2 PM.

The Bay to Breakers is not as fun as it used to be, and it's not because of the rules, it's because of the culture. Now, what I wrote is a head-scratcher, because you may say the culture caused the rules changes. My point is the overall production of the Bay to Breakers has been more defensive than offensive over the years. That's something we talked about in this video from last year:



But what I missed most of all was eating and drinking at The Beach Chalet, which we do every year after the Bay to Breakers.

The Beach Chalet is owned by Lara and Gar Tripelli, who also own the new Lake Chalet in Oakland. The Beach Chalet is actually two places: the Beach Chalet and The Park Chalet behind it. What's fun is to see the number of people who are just plain dog tired from running.

It's also fun to eat their big burgers and fries.  As cheesy as that sentence was, you've got to try them!

But all that's in the past. It's a beautiful Georgia day and I'm out here in the quasi-country helping my Mom by keep three acres of house and property. I've got to admit my stress level's way down. When you get to a certain point in life, parents come before you do or for that matter the Bay to Breakers. That's the stage I'm at.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment