Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Judge who denied interracial couple marriage in Louisiana resigns

Keith Bardwell, the Justice-Of-The-Peace who denied an interracial couple Louisiana marriage resigns, according to a breaking news email from CNN.

Bardwell, a Tangipahoa Parish Louisiana Judge (outside New Orleans), became famous for rejecting Terence McKay and his girlfriend Beth Humphrey, who wanted to be married by Bardwell. But Keith decided to show the country what real racism was when he said "I do it to protect the children, he reportedly said. The kids are innocent and I worry about their futures" when asked why he would not marry an interracial couple.

What's even more frightening is Judge Bardwell did not think he was a racist. According to the Associated Press, Bardwell said this:

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

on the issue at the time and I'll have more information soon:

No comments:

Post a Comment